If you are like me then you have spent most of your life searching for balance. And by balance, I mean maintaining your svelte physique while answering the undeniable call of late-night munchies. Well, look no further, friends. we’ve gathered up four light-on-the-guilt, heavy-on-the-delicious recipes that prove you really can have it all.
Swap For: Cauliflower Veggie Flatbread
Get creative with spices like oregano and dried chili flake or top with freshly torn basil to make it your own.
- 1 frozen cauliflower pizza crust (I love Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 cup pesto (TJ’s Vegan Kale, Cashew & Basil Pesto is a great option)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups sliced veggies (try mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers and onions)
- Bake each side of the cauliflower crust for 10-12 minutes at 450° F until crispy.
- Crank up the heat while you spread pesto evenly onto baked crust and add toppings.
- Broil pizza for 4-5 minutes or until cheese begins to bubble.
- Lastly, eat while watching the Food Network so you can marvel at your very own gourmet creation.
Craving: French Fries
Swap For: Baked Zucchini and Sweet Potato Wedges
Enjoy satisfying crunch and snackable flavor without the heaviness of deep-frying.
- 1 sweet potato
- Coconut oil spray (olive oil or avocado oil also work)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup each of Panko bread crumbs and grated Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp each of salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut zucchini and sweet potato into half-inch wedges.
- Coat sweet potato wedges with coconut spray and toss with cinnamon. Spread the wedges out in a single layer on one half of the baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mix Panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese and remaining spices until well-combined.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat 2 eggs.
- Dip zucchini wedges in egg mixture, then dredge in the bread crumb mixture. Arrange wedges in a single layer on the other half of the baking sheet.
- Spray the tops of the zucchini wedges with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- These are best enjoyed with Netflix and a friend.
Swap With: Deconstructed Veggie Burger Plate
This is the easiest recipe of all time. In fact, it’s less of a recipe and more of a plate map.
- 1 Dr. Praeger’s Veggie Burger patty (the mushroom risotto is my go-to)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup brown rice (Trader Joes has great microwave pouch options to keep it easy)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions.
- Pan fry the veggie patty and the egg (over medium in a non-stick pan or with a touch of oil in a regular pan).
- Arrange rice and veggie burger on plate and top with sliced avocado.
- This is best eaten after snapping an Instagram photo to show all your friends your superior health habits. #healthiswealth
Craving: Chocolate Ice Cream
Swap For: Peanut Butter-Chocolate-Banana “Nice Cream”
Just three ingredients away from guiltless bliss.
- 2 medium bananas, cut in half and frozen
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Blend frozen banana and peanut butter until smooth.
- Mix in chocolate chips with spatula.
- Enjoy immediately and bask in the pleasure of a frosty non-dairy splurge.